Mission Statement

Okay, this is more of a "non-mission statement," as it chronicles the creative projects that I had always INTENDED to produce throughout the years, but never did.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

World Cup 2006

In the Winter of 1974, the German film director, Werner Herzog, walked from Munich to Paris, to visit a dying friend in the hospital. It took him 21 days, and is chronicled in the diary Of Walking On Ice, published in 1978.

The idea of walking a great distance across country(s) greatly intrigued me at the time after reading about this. I even met a retired lawyer who regularly engaged in such activity, and was leaving the next day to walk the length of Florida. Around this time, I read an article about the French government passing a law allowing village churches throughout the country to broadcast the upcoming World Cup matches for free. During the month-long tournament, my idea was to walk from Paris to the final match in Berlin. Along the way I would shoot a documentary chronicling the people and passions found in the small towns I encountered along the way. France wound up placing second in a controversial and hard-played final match against Italy.

I managed to secure the time off from work and bought a plane ticket to Europe for the project. However, that was as far as it got. It was an inspiring story I enjoyed talking to people about, and seemed simple enough, but two things got in my way, deterring me from following through.

Reason #1: I did not know French. As ignorant Americans, we sometimes assume that people everywhere know some semblance of English. However, after a minor altercation with a waiter in a Parisian cafe a few years prior, I realized this wasn't the case. I figured the further remote in the country I got, the less likely I would find English-speakers to interview. I considered bringing along a translator, but aside from the personal nature of the project, I imagined it difficult to find someone competent and compatible at such a late hour.

Reason #2: I am scared of big, angry dogs in unknown locales. In the aforementioned, Of Walking On Ice, Herzog mentioned having to fight off wild packs of dogs during his winter journey I was pseudo-emulating. I have had a few run-ins with big, angry dogs in my life, including once on a leisurely hike in Tuscany a few years prior to this project. I was walking up a road through an old, hilltop part of a Medieval Italian town. A school bus passed me, dropping off some children. Then, as I reached the crest of the hill, a big dog appeared in the middle of the road. Violently barking, his tail down, he was obviously not looking to make friends with an American tourist. I cautiously retreated downhill to the safety of my villa. Another time, I was walking the beach of a Northern Minnesota lake I grew up on, when a big white dog approached, and without warning, bit me on the ass in front of many people. It was only a warning bite, but my pride remained hurt more than if it had mauled my arm off. There are other, more graphically bloody stories, but I digress.

The Takeaway: So, to sum it up, I wasn't about to go gallivanting through an unknown countryside, fighting off wild animals, in order to artfully engage with a local populace who most likely wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment