Mission Statement

Okay, this is more of a "non-mission statement," as it chronicles the creative projects that I had always INTENDED to produce throughout the years, but never did.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Deadline...missed


Through the Independent Filmmaker Project - Phoenix chapter (http://www.ifpphx.org/), I have created about a half-dozen short films over the last 5 years, most during their "48-Hour Film Challenges." Basically, you have to write/shoot/edit, a three-minute short within a weekend based upon a prop, line of dialogue and genre they provide. Well, this Fall they hosted the "Breakout Film Challenge," where you had a whole SEVEN weeks to produce a five-minute short, but with a thirty-second trailer, poster art, and marketing package.

Seven weeks? Are you kidding me?!? No problem. This is gonna be fun, I thought. It took me a little longer than planned to get the script locked down, but then I soon realized it was over. I mean, there were still three weeks left before the deadline, but between mine and my cine-partner's work schedules, we only had roughly four solid shooting days to get it done. Still, no problem, I thought. Well, then the lead actor went AWOL half of that time and I wasn't able to find a backup.

I still would like to shoot it...someday, as there are a couple shots in the script I've been wanting to shoot for a while. Due to space, I can't post the seven-page script, but here is a rough mock-up of the poster I did. I realize it looks like a drawing by an 8-year-old of his idea of what a poster would look like for a Woody Allen movie starring Bruce Willis. That's supposed to be a gun in his hand, not an empty beer bottle he's pretending to dump out without anyone seeing. Imagine Jason Statham, head downcast, standing partially in the darkness. I've seen this thing before, to the point of cliche, but can't recall where.

No comments:

Post a Comment